In February of 2006, at the age of 26, Sarah black took her first judo class. After a year training with the Chico Judo Club, Sarah made the move to Redwood City, CA and trained with the Stanford and Cahill’s judo teams. She ended her judo career training at the Jason Morris judo center in Scotia, New York where she was awarded the rank of Nidan (second degree black) from Jason Morris at the end of 2010.
She started shifting her focus to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) and joined team Nova Uniao. She was awarded her blue belt from Robson Moura (André Pederneiras) in 2009. In 2012 Sarah was awarded her purple belt from Gustavo Dantas (André Pederneiras).
Sarah accepted the role of the team GD Jiu-Jitsu’s women’s head coach in 2013 and is also the advanced class program director.
In 2013 Sarah won the IBJJF world championship in the Adult Lightweight Purple Belt division.
In 2015 she won the IBJJF world championship in the Adult Lightweight Brown Belt division.
Gustavo Dantas promoted Sarah to black belt in July of 2015.
In 2016 she won the silver medal at the IBJJF world championship in the Adult Lightweight Black Belt division.
JIU-JITSU BLACK BELT RESULTS
- 2016 IBJJF World Championship – Silver (Adult Black Belt/Light weight)
- 2015 IBJJF World Masters Championship – Gold (Black Belt/Light weight)
- 2015 IBJJF US Nationals Gi – Gold (Black Belt/Light weight)
- 2015 IBJJF US Nationals NoGi – Gold (Black Belt/Light weight/Open weight)
JIU-JITSU OTHER NOTEABLE RESULTS
- 2015 IBJJF World Championship – Gold (Adult Brown Belt/Light weight)
- 2014 Abu Dhabi World Pro Championship – Silver (Adult Purple Belt/60 kg)
- 2013 IBJJF World Championship – Gold (Adult Purple Belt/Light weight)
JUDO – BLACK BELT RESULTS
- 2010 Presidents Cup Grand Rapids Kent County, Gold (63 kg)
- 2010 Starrett Cup Boston, Gold (63 kg)
- 2009 Quebec Senior Open Montreal, Bronze (63 Kg)
- 2009 US Nationals Championships San Diego, Bronze (63 Kg)
- 2008 USA Fall Classic Spokane, Bronze (63 Kg)